Vol. 31 No. 2
IUPAC Executive Director Search
The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) is seeking to appoint a new executive director to replace Dr. John W. Jost, who will retire towards the end of 2010. The executive director reports to the president through the secretary general (and for financial matters through the treasurer). The executive director is responsible for the administration of the business of the Union, including management of the Union’s Secretariat, its publications, finance, interaction with National Adhering Organizations that comprise the Union, organization of biennial General Assemblies and Congresses, and the provision of support for the officers and governing bodies of the Union. The IUPAC Secretariat has a current staff of five and is located in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA. Extensive travel outside the United States is required.
The executive director must have the following:
- a substantial background in chemistry (doctoral degree preferred)
- ability to organize, manage, recruit, and interact effectively with workers in a small office
- proficiency in information technology
- ability to formulate and execute the IUPAC budget (currently ~USD 1.5 million p.a.)
- ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with a large number of scientific leaders throughout the world
A detailed job description is available on request. Salary is commensurate with experience. Only applicants with permanent residence status in the USA can be considered. The desired appointment date is early in 2010 to allow for a period of overlap with Dr. Jost.
Interested applicants are asked to send their applications, including CVs and the names and contact details of three referees, by e-mail to the Secretary General at <email@example.com>, by 31 May 2009.
Page last modified 3 March 2009.
Copyright © 2003-2009 International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.
Questions regarding the website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org