35 No. 1
In November 2012, Professor Naofumi Koga (Japan) was honored as a 2012 Emeritus Fellow of the IUPAC Chemistry and Human Health Division in recognition of his outstanding work as the first president of the Asian Federation of Medicinal Chemistry, notably developing nine national societies in Asia (1992–1995), and as president of the IUPAC Medicinal Chemistry Section (1995–1999).
The IUPAC Chemistry and Human Health Division (Division VII) introduced a program of appointing Emeritus Fellows of Division VII in the Divisional Operating Procedures in 2009. The Fellows position is intended to honor those whose long service and distinguished contributions helped shape the division and its founding commissions, but also to allow the division to continue to draw upon the substantial collective experience of the Fellows for reviewing proposals and offering opinions on division matters in their areas of expertise. The Fellows receive IUPAC updates and are welcome to attend division meetings.
There are three subcommittees in Division VII: Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Development, Toxicology and Risk Assessment, and Nomenclature for Properties and Units. The operating procedures allow for each subcommittee to appoint one new Fellow during each biennium. So far, 11 distinguished scientists who played multiple roles in IUPAC and in the development of the division have been recognized. Naofumi Koga, the most recent Emeritus Fellow, was officially inducted at a meeting of the Pharmaceutical Society of Japan in November 2012.
The list of Emeritus Fellows, their country of affiliation and year of appointment, and a brief statement of their service to IUPAC is given below. Their biographies are available online
- Naofumi Koga (Japan, 2012)—Chair of the IUPAC Medicinal Chemistry Section (1995–1999) and first President of the Asian Federation of Medicinal Chemistry
- Rita Cornelis (Belgium, 2011)—Chair of the Commission on Toxicology (1993–1998) and National Representative for Belgium (2006–2009)
- Stanley Brown (UK, 2010)—founding Member of the Commission on Toxicology (1972) and Division President (1985–1989)
- René Dybkaer (Denmark, 2010)—President of the IFCC (1979–1984) and founding and continuing member of the joint IUPAC–IFCC Commission on Nomenclature, Properties and Units
- Urban Forsum (Sweden, 2010)—Chair of the joint IUPAC–IFCC Commission on Nomenclature, Properties and Units (2000–2005)
- Philippe Grandjean (Denmark, 2010)—Chair of the Commission on Toxicology (1987–1991)
- Lester Mitscher (USA, 2010)—Titular Member of the Medicinal Chemistry Section (1991–1995)
- Henrik Olesen (Denmark, 2010; deceased 2012)—Chair of the Commission on Nomenclature for Properties and Units (1989) and member of the joint IUPAC–IFCC Commission on Nomenclature, Properties and Units (1988–1997)
- Frederick William Sunderman, Jr. (USA, 2010; deceased 2011)—Founding member and Chair (1972–1981) of the Commission on Toxicology, and President of the Clinical Chemistry Division (1981–1985)
- John G. Topliss (USA, 2010)—President of the Medicinal Chemistry Section (1992–1995)
- Camille-Georges Wermuth (France, 2010)—President of the Medicinal Chemistry Section (1988–1992) and President of Division VII (1998–2000)
last modified 3 January 2013.
Copyright © 2003-2013 International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.
Questions regarding the website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org