35 No. 4
The awardees of the IUPAC 2013 Distinguished Women in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering are as follows:
- Irina P. Beletskaya, Moscow State University, Russia
- Annette Doherty, Senior VP Product Development, GlaxoSmithKline Plc, UK
- Mary Garson, University of Queensland, Australia
- Evamarie Hey-Hawkins, University of Leipzig, Germany
- Kazue Kurihara, Tohoku University, Japan
- Liliana Mammino, University of Venda, South Africa
- Elsa Reichmanis, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- Concepció Rovira, Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona, Spain
- Maria Vallet-Regi, Universidad Complutense, Spain
- Angela Wilson, University of North Texas, USA
- Yi Xie, University of Science & Technology of China, China
The awards program, initiated as part of the 2011 International Year of Chemistry celebrations, acknowledges and promotes the work of women chemists/chemical engineers worldwide (see Mar-Apr 2013 CI, www.iupac.org/publications/ci/2013/3502/iw2_call.html). The 11 awardees have been selected based on excellence in basic or applied research, distinguished accomplishments in teaching or education, or demonstrated leadership or managerial excellence in the chemical sciences. The awards committee was particularly interested in nominees with a history of leadership and/or community service during their careers.
In 2011, 23 women were honored during a ceremony held at the IUPAC Congress in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on 2 August 2011. The event was sponsored by a challenge grant from the American Chemical Society and by Dow Chemical. This year, a similar award ceremony will take place during the IUPAC Congress in Istanbul, Turkey, on 16 August 2013. The ceremony and reception in honor of the recipients will follow the symposium: Women in Chemistry: Gaining Momentum.
last modified 29 August 2013.
Copyright © 2003-2013 International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.
Questions regarding the website, please contact email@example.com