32 No. 3
Evaluated Kinetic Data for Atmospheric Chemistry
The Subcommittee on Gas Kinetic Data Evaluation for Atmospheric Chemistry is providing critically reviewed recommended kinetic and mechanistic data for reactions important in the atmosphere. These data may be incorporated into the next generation of climate and air quality models which describe chemical processes occurring on local, regional, and global scales and which will guide policy development. Data such as these form the backbone of any predictive numerical simulations of the global climate upon which potentially far-reaching political decisions are based.
This project will support the continuous updating of the web-based database <www.iupac-kinetic.ch.cam.ac.uk> on atmospheric reactions located at the Centre for Atmospheric Science in the Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, UK. The migration to the web was begun in 2001 (IUPAC project 1999-037-2-100) and was essentially concluded in 2008 at the end of project 2007-001-2-100. The website contains approximately 1000 data sheets covering gas phase reactions, photolysis reactions, and heterogeneous reactions on liquids and on solids. Parallel to the ongoing updating, completing, and reevaluation of the web-based data, “snapshots” of certain parts of the database are published in a series of peer-reviewed articles in Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics.1-5
It is clear that this effort should continue in view of the considerable scientific activity in this field and the new results it generates. The subcommittee is currently expanding the existing database to consider new gas phase data sheets and recommendations for selected complex hydrocarbon reactions, including aromatic species and haloalkanes and new data sheets for heterogeneous reactions on ice, mineral dust, liquid water, and sulfuric acid surfaces.
1. R. Atkinson, et al., Evaluated kinetic and photochemical data for atmospheric chemistry: Volume I—gas phase reactions of Ox, HOx, NOx, and SOx species, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 4, 1461–1738 (2004).
2. R. Atkinson, et al., Evaluated kinetic and photochemical data for atmospheric chemistry: Volume II—gas phase reactions of organic species, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 6, 3625–4055 (2006).
3. R. Atkinson, et al., Evaluated kinetic and photochemical data for atmospheric chemistry: Volume III—gas phase reactions of inorganic halogens, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 7, 981–1191 (2007).
4. R. Atkinson, et al., and T. J. Wallington, Evaluated Kinetic and Photochemical data for Atmospheric Chemistry: Volume IV—Gas Phase Reactions of Organic Halogen Species, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 8, 4141–4496 (2008).
5. J. N. Crowley, et al., Evaluated Kinetic and Photochemical data for Atmospheric Chemistry: Volume V—heterogeneous reactions on solid substrates, Atmos. Chem. Phys., in press.
For more information and comments, contact Task Group Chair Tim J. Wallington <email@example.com>.
last modified 12 May 2010.
Copyright © 2003-2010 International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.
Questions regarding the website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org