33 No. 5
|Where 2B &Y
||Announcements of conferences, symposia, workshops, meetings, and other upcoming activities.
The XXIVth IUPAC Symposium on Photochemistry will carry on the excellent tradition of this series of conferences in Coimbra in July 2012. The meeting will provide a forum for presenting recent advances in all aspects of the field and will bring together members of the international photochemistry community. It will address topics in photochemistry that are likely to contribute to resolving some of the major problems of the 21st century, such as energy, the environment, and medicine.
The conference will offer a full range of plenary and invited lectures, oral contributions, and poster presentations. Confirmed plenary speakers include Guillermo C. Bazan (Santa Barbara), Anthony Harriman (Newcastle), Ben L. Feringa (Groningen), Tetsuro Majima (Osaka), Gregory D. Scholes (Toronto), Sebastião J. Formosinho/Luis G. Arnaut (Coimbra), Franco Scandola (Ferrara), Vivian W.W. Yam (Hong Kong), and the winner of the Porter Medal.
Topics to be covered will include the following:
- Organic and inorganic photochemistry from a synthetic and mechanistic point of view
- Solar energy conversion
- Photocatalysis, environ., & green photochemistry
- Materials science and engineering
- Supramolecular chemistry
- Photoactive nanoparticles and nanomaterials
- Photobiology, biophysics, and skin photochemistry
- Photochemistry in medicine
- Luminescent probes, sensors and imaging
- Spectroscopy and instrumentation
- Photochromism and photoswitching
- Industrial applications of photochemistry
- Photochemistry and cultural heritage
In addition, there will be a special Young Photochemists session that will include all aspects of photochemistry. A limited number of grants for young researchers will be made available.
The symposium will be held in the old city of Coimbra, well-known for its university, founded in 1290. Coimbra has a wide range of hotels and similar accommodations for all tastes. The city and the surrounding region offer various leisure, sporting, and cultural activities.
last modified 12 September 2011.
Copyright © 2003-2011 International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.
Questions regarding the website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org